Exposure to free radicals is damaging your skin. They’re all around you and they’re one of the main reasons why your skin is aging faster. If you want to learn more on how to reduce those pesky fine lines and wrinkles, then keep on reading.
You’ll find out what free radicals are, how antioxidants prevent skin aging, and why our superoxide dismutase products are beneficial for your skin.
What Are Free Radicals and How Do They Cause Aging?
Although your skin naturally ages, external factors play a huge role in skin aging. UV rays, air pollutants and tobacco smoke are just some of the factors that damage your skin and cause premature aging. Radiation-induced skin in particular is prone to aging. But how?
The answer – free radicals. Here are the damaging effects that free radicals have on your skin:
- Causes sagging skin as a result of the breaking down of collagen proteins
- Triggers fine lines and wrinkles by causing damage to DNA
- They increase uneven skin texture by breaking down cell structure
- Causes dull and dry skin by damaging the skin barrier
Some antioxidants like vitamin A, C and E are particularly prominent in certain foods. If you want a diet rich in antioxidants, then be sure to have fruits and vegetables, nuts and green tea.
However, some antioxidants are naturally produced in the body, including alpha-lipoic acid, glutathione and superoxide dismutase.
What is Superoxide Dismutase?
Superoxide dismutase (SOD) is an enzyme naturally produced in the body that has potent antioxidant properties. Found in all living cells, the SOD enzyme plays a crucial role in preventing the visible signs of aging. There are different forms of SOD, including copper and zinc superoxide dismutase.
For this reason, it neutralises the effects of the superoxide, a highly destructive free radical by converting it into hydrogen peroxide and oxygen. As a result, SOD makes it easier to remove the damaging free radicals as other antioxidants finish the job that superoxide dismutase started.
Because superoxide radicals have an extra oxygen molecule, they can wreak havoc on your skin by inflicting cellular, amino acid and DNA damage. This can result in your skin becoming dehydrated, saggy and dull. However, as you will see, SOD is an extremely powerful antioxidant that fights oxidation.
How Does Superoxide Dismutase Help With Skin?
As you now know, antioxidants are extremely beneficial for the skin. So what’s so good about SOD?
The antioxidant enzyme has strong anti-aging effects on the skin. It breaks down damaging free radicals to help keep your cells healthy.
Healthy cells mean healthy skin, and by converting the highly destructive free radical, superoxide, it acts as a potent antioxidant that keeps your skin looking younger.
The enzyme plays a huge role in preventing oxidation in the body. It is the first line of defence against oxidative stress and helps maintain your collagen and elastin content. It therefore has incredible anti-aging benefits for the skin including:
- Reducing skin sagging
- Preventing fine lines and wrinkles
- Treating dark spots
The 3 Best Superoxide Dismutase Products to Use
The question now is this: what products should you get? Dermoi offers 3 clinically proven products that repair skin damage and give you the youthful complexion you’re looking for.
You don’t have to worry about whether our advanced products work. Each and every product is selected and endorsed by our Chief Scientific Officer, Eve Casha to give you clinically proven results.
This powerful antioxidant supplement is formulated with collagen peptides, MSM, and of course SOD.
By using a liquid solution, Skinade Cellulite maximises its absorption rate. Consequently, this potent supplement boosts the effects of all active ingredients.
- Increases elasticity and firmness
- Reduces lumpiness and dimpling
- 90-95% absorption rate
By stimulating fibroblasts, collagen and elastin content, Endocare Tensage is an incredibly powerful anti-aging serum.
Not only does the serum use SOD to regenerate skin cells, but it’s also formulated with SCA Biorepair Technology. This technology helps to re-energise existing fibroblasts and slow down aging.
- Dramatically improves fine lines and wrinkles
- Promotes radiant and brighter complexion
- Visibly firms and smoothes skin in 4 weeks
This treatment rejuvenates your skin using the latest and greatest PCA Skin products.
The antioxidant therapy helps bring oxygen molecules to the surface of your skin, reducing fine lines and wrinkles. At the same time, PCA Skin Oxygenating Treatment is perfect for restoring your skin back to life, especially when SOD restores your cells back to health with oxygen.
- Restores uneven skin tone
- Hydrates and moisturises your skin
- Boosts collagen production
So if you’re looking for facials that are clinically proven to work, PCA Skin Oxygenating Treatment is a must. Above all, your skin will thank you for it.
Author: Naeem Ali
- Treiber, N., Maity, P., Singh, K., Ferchiu, F., Wlaschek, M. and Scharffetter-Kochanek, K., 2012. The role of manganese superoxide dismutase in skin aging. Dermato-Endocrinology, 4(3), pp.232-235.
- Kwon, M., Kim, B., Lee, Y. and Kim, T., 2012. Role of superoxide dismutase 3 in skin inflammation. Journal of Dermatological Science, 67(2), pp.81-87.
- Lee, M., Agrahari, G., Kim, H., An, E., Chun, K., Kang, H., Kim, Y., Bang, C., Tak, L. and Kim, T., 2021. Extracellular Superoxide Dismutase Prevents Skin Aging by Promoting Collagen Production through the Activation of AMPK and Nrf2/HO-1 Cascades. Journal of Investigative Dermatology, 141(10), pp.2344-2353.e7.