Need to plump your skin? Find out why collagen intake is the best way to achieve stronger skin and why some collagen supplements fail on that promise.
What is Collagen?
The skin is the largest organ in the body and what keeps it together is a clever protein called collagen. It is the building block of all connective tissues, bone tendons, cartilages and muscles that keeps them together.
In Greek, the protein is called kólla, meaning glue, hence the importance it plays in keeping the skin’s elasticity intact. While there is a debate as to how many of these proteins there are (16 or 28), the most focused and researched are:
- Type I
- Type II
- Type III
- Type V
- Type X
Naturally the body produces fewer proteins when consuming rich foods like bone broth with protein and breaks them down into smaller, easily digestive forms of amino acids. The effects of collagen are necessary to keep the skin firm and healthy.
However, after reaching your 20s, each consecutive year you will lose 1% of collagen production, which, though partly due to ageing, has a lot to do with premature ageing factors like UV radiation and pollution.
In fact, a 2019 study found that toxins from environmental stresses causes oxidative stress and opens inflammatory pathways, both of which catalyses the loss of elasticity within the body.
Why Your Skin Needs It
As the body ages, you produce fewer proteins, which causes the skin’s elasticity to collapse and ultimately promotes saggy skin.
The 5 types mentioned above contribute to reversing signs of ageing:
- Collagen type I is the most well-studied collagen because 90% of it is made up of this type. It is a dense fibrillar protein and repairs scar tissues, connective tissues and tendons.
- Collagen type II is a less dense fibrillar collagen but plays a crucial role in strengthening bones and joints (osteoarthritis) which is mainly found in cartilages.
- Collagen type III is a reticular protein and has a similar function to type 1 in relation to healing wounds, but is also found in organs like the intestines and uterus.
- Collagen type V plays a special role in supporting healthy eye function and regulating the tissue of the placenta.
- Collagen type X is less well known but much like type II, is crucial to bone and joint health. It is less well known because of it being found in eggshells but vital to forming bone cartilages.
Do We Need Collagen Supplements?
You might think loss of the proteins is due to ageing and nothing else, but external factors also contribute to its loss. Such factors include UV rays, air pollution, and also lifestyle choices such as smoking, where the latter increases the number of toxins in the body.
All these factors increase the likelihood of premature ageing, weakening tendons and ligaments, which is why the supplements, and liposomal supplements in particular, are important if your diet already lacks the necessary proteins.
Although these supplements are beneficial for skin support, bone health and muscle mass, not all of the supplements are created equal and now we will discuss why.
Collagen Creams and Tablet Supplements Do Not Work
Many of these supplements claim to boost the skin’s protein production, but even more customers are left wondering why their skin has not improved after repeated use.
That is because tablets and capsules fail to allow the body to properly absorb the nutrients due to its delivery system. This is applied to creams as well because absorption is greater when targeted at the digestive level.
For the body to fully absorb the molecules in the body, the supplement must be water-soluble as well as oil-soluble, let alone not including damaging side effects.
Drinkable supplements are much better at absorbing the nutrients, with an absorption rate boosted to 80%-90%, where several tablets would be needed to achieve the same rate.
The UK’s First Liposomal Collagen Supplement
YourZooki revolutionised the dietary supplement industry by incorporating liposomal delivery in their 6 powerful supplements, including Collagen Zooki that uses hydrolysed marine peptides. What makes YourZooki different is that the supplements are effective but also are tasty as you can drink them directly from the sachet or mix with smoothies and porridges.
When vitamins, nutrients and proteins enter the body via supplements, it is only temporarily absorbed and excreted due to the harsh environment in the intestines.
YourZooki’s liposomal encapsulation however solves this problem by shielding the proteins in tiny balls called phospholipids, abetting in delivering collagen through the gut barrier right into the bloodstream for a long term solution. It does this by mimicking the body’s cell membranes and is therefore more bioavailable than other supplements.
Collagen Zooki has anti-ageing benefits due to its 5000mg of Marine Collagen, which breaks it down further into peptides, or amino acids, because of its large size. The supplement capitalises on collagen synthesis, combining many types of collagen including type 1 to better firm the skin.
This means that YourZooki’s ground-breaking technology maximises all the benefits of the proteins like improving skin elasticity and includes anti-ageing vitamins including vitamin C.
Vitamin C is typically known as the ‘sunshine vitamin’ and is a potent antioxidant that protects the skin from premature ageing caused by UV radiation, pollution and other external factors.
The Collagen Supplements at Dermoi!
If you are looking for supplements that actually work to rid joint pain and delivers the proteins into the bloodstream then Dermoi! has an array of products for you.
- Skinade's Collagen Drink includes a 5–30 day course that gives lasting results within just 2 weeks. It comprises of peptides, MSM, mixed with omegas 3 and 6 to powerfully hydrate the skin and strengthen the skin barrier.
- Collagen Activator by Osmosis indirectly stimulates the proteins in the body with ATP (Adenosine Triphosphate), an organic compound known to activate the cell’s energy. Osmosis uses patented technology called AC-11 cuts out damaged DNA to repair overall skin health.
- SkinGlo’s Collagen Drink uses liposomal encapsulation by Nutrivitality with 8000mg of marine collagen delivery, making it the most collagen-fuelled supplement on the market. It uses hyaluronic acid to hydrate the skin by locking moisture on the top layer.
- Liposomal Marine Collagen by YourZooki is the first liposomal collagen supplement in the UK and enhances joint health, muscle performance and skin firmness. By hydrolysing collagen into peptides, more collagen is absorbed by the body to further firm the skin. It also has a smoothie texture and citrusy flavour. See results in 12 weeks.
- Indeed Lab’s Collagen Booster is more of a serum than a drink but because it uses hyaluronic acid, including its two peptides, Palmitoyl Dipeptide-5 Diaminobutyroyl hydroxythreonine and Palmitoyl Dipeptide.S Oiaminohydroxybutyrate, the serum massively helps stimulate integrin B4 and laminin that maintains the skin’s elasticity. If you see any allergic reaction please contact a medical professional.
Author: Naeem Ali
Araviiskaia, E., Berardesca, E., Bieber, T., Gontijo, G., Sanchez Viera, M., Marrot, L., Chuberre, B. and Dreno, B., 2019. The impact of airborne pollution on skin. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology, 33(8), pp.1496-1505.