What Is Collagen?
Natural collagen is the most prevalent protein in your body and plays a crucial role in skin health. It is a vital protein contained in connective tissues, cartilages and ligaments that holds your skin and body together. Collagen peptide drinks are one of the best ways of boosting your collagen intake, but first, what does the protein do?
The collagen protein is the underlying structure of your skin and is what makes the latter firm and plump. It is made up of 19 amino acids. However, there are 3 amino acids that especially aid in synthesising collagen:
- Glycine – This is the main amino acid found in the protein and contributes to collagen synthesis. Glycine also helps to produce creatine, an energy-boosting nutrient for your muscles that reduces fatigue.
- Proline – This amino acid helps to repair wounds and plays a central role in skin healing. It also assists in maintaining proper cell functioning, forming connective tissues and it also promotes collagen production.
- Hydroxyproline – This amino acid helps to stabilise collagen’s triple helix structure. It is a modified form of proline that binds to water, contributing to hydration and increasing collagen synthesis.
Although your body naturally produces the protein, external factors decrease the amount made and therefore these factors increase the signs of premature aging.
Why Does Your Skin Need Collagen?
By the time you reach 30, your collagen levels drop by at least 1.5% year on year. Moreover, you produce lower-quality collagen over time, meaning your skin is more prone to fine lines and wrinkles.
This is why keeping your collagen levels up is important to improve your skin’s texture and firmness. Here are just some benefits of collagen:
- Boosts your skin’s elasticity – The protein improves the elasticity of your skin. As your skin encounters free radicals from environmental stressors, it becomes loose and saggy. Collagen is clinically proven to boost elasticity and firm the skin.
- Increases hydration – It also helps with hydration and retaining moisture in the skin due to the amino acids binding to water molecules. Hydrating your skin makes it appear smooth and soft, which is why the protein helps with moisturising your skin.
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles – By increasing the elasticity and hydration of your skin, collagen slows down the aging process and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
- Relieves joint pain – The protein not only makes your skin feel younger, but your joints too. It helps rebuild your tendons and cartilage, preventing the thinning of tissues and alleviating pain.
What The Science Says
With collagen supplements and drinks becoming ever more popular, there has been an avalanche of scientific studies to truly understand the benefits of the protein.
Collagen has amazing benefits, but it is too large a protein to be absorbed into the body and reap the anti-aging effects.
That’s why collagen peptides, also know as hydrolysed collagen, are one of the best ways to absorb the protein as it a more bioavailable form of the protein. These peptides provide wrinkle reduction and skin rejuvenation benefits to a higher degree.
One study in 2015 showed that after 8 weeks of using collagen peptides, skin hydration was significantly increased through oral supplements. The researchers concluded that peptides in the oral form help to improve skin structure and reduce the signs of aging.
Another study discovered that after 6 and 12 weeks of taking oral collagen peptide, skin elasticity was significantly improved compared with the placebo-controlled group. The researchers also found that skin wrinkling was drastically improved after 12 weeks.
Liquid supplements however are more bioavailable than your regular tablet or capsule. This is because they have a smaller molecular structure, absorbing more of the nutrients in the gut unlike solid supplements.
By itself though, liquid supplements don’t provide the optimal absorption rate. This is where our liposomal collagen peptide drinks come in.
The Best Collagen Peptide Drinks
Liposomes are a groundbreaking technology that increase the absorption rate of vitamins and nutrients. Nutrients need to be both water and oil-soluble for them to bypass the acidic gut barrier and enter the bloodstream.
Dermoi’s liposomal drinks solve this issue by shielding the protein in an oil-based sphere, making our supplements a potent anti-aging weapon. Here’s a list of our best collagen peptide drinks:
This potent supplement uses marine collagen as it is a more sustainable way of extracting the protein. It provides remarkable anti-aging benefits such as boosting bone density and skin growth.
The YourZooki drink also contains vitamin C and E which are powerful antioxidants that protect you from free radical damage. Its citrus flavour makes you forget you’re drinking a supplement in the first place.
Skinade uses 7000mg of collagen peptides to help stimulate the production of fibroblasts, thereby strengthening your skin’s structure.
After 90 days, the Skinade clinical trial proved there was a 28% improvement in skin elasticity, with potent ingredients like methylsulfonylmethane (MSM).
High-quality collagen peptides are hard to come by, which is why SkinGlo is a revolutionary brand.
The drink uses patented liposomal technology called NutriProtect for efficient absorption. It also uses hyaluronic acid that binds to water for maintaining optimal hydration levels.
Considered as the master of anti-aging supplements, ZENii Skin Fusion has a whopping 10,000mg of hydrolysed marine collagen to drastically improve your skin texture.
The supplement also contains zinc to help remove skin dead cells and repair damaged DNA. The mineral also plays a role in wound healing to give you a smoother, fuller look.
Drinks are the way to go when it comes to bioavailability. So check out our potent supplements here and don’t look back.
Author: Naeem Ali
- Asserin, J., Lati, E., Shioya, T. and Prawitt, J., 2015. The effect of oral collagen peptide supplementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from an ex vivo model and randomized, placebo‐controlled clinical trials. Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, 14(4), pp.291-301.
- Kim, D., Chung, H., Choi, J., Sakai, Y. and Lee, B., 2018. Oral Intake of Low-Molecular-Weight Collagen Peptide Improves Hydration, Elasticity, and Wrinkling in Human Skin: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study. Nutrients, 10(7), p.826.
- Kumar, S., Sugihara, F., Suzuki, K., Inoue, N. and Venkateswarathirukumara, S., 2014. A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised, clinical study on the effectiveness of collagen peptide on osteoarthritis. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 95(4), pp.702-707.
- Bolke, L., Schlippe, G., Gerß, J. and Voss, W., 2019. A Collagen Supplement Improves Skin Hydration, Elasticity, Roughness, and Density: Results of a Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Blind Study. Nutrients, 11(10), p.2494.